Friday 17 February 2012

Project : Creating mock-ups

Exercise : Making a mock-up

A mock-up is a version of an artwork to show how it will function and what it will look like when finished.

For this exercise you are going to mock-up a book cover.From your book shelves or the library choose a book title that appeals to you and create a final image for this task.


I decided to take one of my favourite books of all times: “The Little Prince” written and drawn by Antoine de Saint-Exupery. This should be very important book for every young person as it contains the most valuable questions about life, love and friendship.





 I had a drawing of a little boy in my old sketchbook that was perfect for this task.  I did this sketch on the brown paper with 2B pencil.  I love to work with the pencil from HB to 3B.  I think that too soft pencil can kill the most important lines so vital for a good sketch.   





This is my first stage of the book cover.






I have not done a lot at this stage yet.  I know that I would like to keep the brown paper as a background and a sketch of the boy. I used a scanned paper from a Christmas cracker to make a crown for my Little Prince. I used a Faux Bold Sybil Green font for my title and author name.  I decided to make a small stars and planets from scanned silver Christmas paper.  









I like the gold colour for the background I think it works well with that gold and purple crown. I used the same font for the title but I made it bigger and lighter. I also added some gold planets.




This is my last stage for this task.  I cut the main drawing, as it did not give anything interesting the book cover.  I thought that the focus should be only on the boy’s face and his crown. I have made this crown bigger so that it comes out from the drawing and brings the background and the illustration together.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment